FAQ: Can You Stamp Over Gel Polish?
If you’re someone who visits salons, gel manicures are a great idea if you want to maximize your wear-time. Depending on the speed of your nail growth and your daily activity, gel manicures can typically last up to 3 weeks. This can be a good or bad thing. We’ve all been stuck wearing a gel manicure we didn’t particularly love and had to wait until it grew out… or even worse, started picking at the gel because we got fidgety about wearing a style we don’t like. Well, guess what? You don’t have to worry about wearing nail art you hate. Our beauty secret? Stamp over gel.
Next time you visit the nail salon for your gel manicure, ask for a plain base color and stamp away. Not only does it combine the longevity of gel, but customizing your nail art with stamps is a fun way to show off your creative style. Here’s a step-by-step guide that will have your nails looking salon-fresh without stepping out of your comfort zone.
What do you need to stamp over gel?
- Maniology stamping plates
- Stamping polish
- Silicone stamper and scraper card
- Isopropyl alcohol and cotton pads for prep and clean-up
- A shiny gel top coat (no-wipe type preferred for a glossy finish)
- Optional matte top coat for a chic, modern look
How to Stamp Over Gel Manicure:
- With your freshly manicured gel nails, swipe a cotton pad dipped in rubbing alcohol.
- Apply a sticky base coat and wait for it to get tacky (about 30-45 seconds).
- Select your stamping image.
- Apply your stamping polish to the chosen design, scrape off the excess, and quickly press your stamper to pick up the image. With a confident roll or press, transfer the design onto your nail.
- Seal with a Smudge Free Top Coat
Pro Tip: Always cap the free edge with a top coat to prevent chipping.
With a normal Smudge Free Top Coat, your nail art should last a few days (depending on your daily activity). If you want to change out your nail art, you can remove your design with nail polish remover. (100% acetone could wear down your gel polish.)
Ready to stamp your gel manicure? We can’t wait to see what you create! Post your nailfies on social media and tag us!